Friday, May 13, 2011

Bourbon Infused with Fuji Apple Slices/Cinnamon/Nutmeg

      Another day off and I get bored enough to try another infusion.  This one being my first attempt using Bourbon.  I originally had this idea during the winter months but never actually got around to it until now.  For my apple selection I was stuck between Granny Smith or Fuji and it literally came down to a coin flip, with Fuji winning.  For one bottle of Bourbon i used 5 good sized apples.  As for my Bourbon selection I choose Woodford Reserve based solely on personal taste. (750mL for $32).

     Now to prepare everything.  Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and as always, rinse your produce throughly and pat dry.  Next, slice the apples in 1/4 inch slices and sprinkle both sides with cinnamon and nutmeg and spread them out on a baking sheet.  Since nutmeg is stronger than cinnamon, you'll want to use slightly more cinnamon.  Once all apple slices are ready, place them into the oven and let bake for 10-12 minutes then flip slices over and bake again for 10-12 minutes.
Sliced Fuji apples sprinkled with nutmeg and cinnamon

     When they are done baking put them to side to allow them to cool.  I placed mine in the fridge after letting them cool just to trap in more flavor until I was ready to put them in the jar.  When they're ready, align them in the jar so they'll be submerged as much as possible.  It should take 5-7 days for the infusion to reach it's greatest taste but you won't know for sure unless your tasting it every day.  At whatever point you think it's ready, you're going to need to filter it out a few times to make sure and get out all the spices floating around.
All ingredients in the jar


Enjoy!
-S.M.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment