Monday, May 9, 2011

Tomato & Basil Infused Vodka

Infusing spirits has been a side project of mine for a while now.  We've done quite a few in the past like Strawberry and Vanilla Beans, Raspberry/Blueberry and Mint, Peppers and Papaya, Cucumber, Lemon and Lime, etc. So when Mixology Monday announced the new challenge this month as "Flores de Mayo – Floral Cocktails", I wasn't sure what I wanted to do but I knew I could use it as an excuse to experiment with something new.  After a bit of debating I decided to try a tomato and basil infusion and once that is ready I can build something with that.  Worst case, I'll have something to make great Bloody Marys with.

So after a trip to the store I decided to start with 6 organic tomato's and 4 ounces of fresh basil.
Enchanted Rock Vodka

 Now to prep everything... Make sure and rinse all your produce to start with.  Cut the tops off the tomato's and then cut into halves.  Pick the basil leaves off and then place tomato's and basil into an airtight jar.  You can usually find something at Wal-Mart/Target/Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.  Then just pour the vodka into the jar, seal it, and place it our of direct sunlight.  I strongly urge people not to use a cheap vodka.  Don't spend a lot of money on a bottle just in case you screw up.  I went with Enchanted Rock Vodka (Support Local) because it's a great tasting vodka and you can get a 1.75 ml bottle for less than $30. It'll usually take 1-2 weeks for the flavor profiles to fully take.  You'll want to stir it(just pick it up and shake it) once a day as well as sample it to see how its coming along.  You may need to add more ingredients as you go.  As great chefs say, "You can always add more but you can't take away what you've already put in".Here's how mine looked once it was jarred:




I got the jar from Wal-Mart for less than $10
Once enough time has passed you're ready to bottle it.  Clean out the original bottle your vodka came in and you can strain it back into it.  I use a cheese cloth and a mesh strainer to strain all the food particles/seeds/skin out.  Once mine is ready I'll post the recipe for the cocktail I come up with.  If anyone has any ideas on what to make with this feel free to give me some input.

Enjoy
-S.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment