Friday, May 13, 2011

Mixology Monday

 
     This upcoming monday (May 16th) marks another Mixology Monday cocktail challenge, "Flores de Mayo – Floral Cocktails".  This will also mark my first entry for Mixology Monday!  This month they have a wonderful host in Dave at The Barman Cometh. In preparation, I started a Tomato and Basil Infused Vodka to be used. Now that it's ready, it's time to start the actual drink.  Since I've been on a Moscow Mule kick recently, I wanted to try my own variation on this classic cocktail.  I already need to use Vodka, Lime Juice, and Ginger Beer but I needed to add a floral ingridient to the mix and I finally choose homemade Hibiscus Grenadine.  I used Jeffrey Morgenthaler's recipe and just threw in a handful of Hibiscus leaves to let them steep.  It came out very well.
Making the Hibiscus Grenadine

     The Tomato Basil vodka I let sit for 3 1/2 days before I thought the taste was ready.  Side Note: We tried using the left over tomatoes to make Salsa, absolute disaster.  The basil overpowered everything and anyone from Texas will tell you basil does not belong in good salsa.  So with everything made and ready it was time to experiment for a while before I came up with my new cocktail:

"The Mule From The Alamo"
  • 1.5 oz of Tomato/Basil Infused Vodka
  • 1 Bar spoon of Hibiscus Grenadine
  • Lime juice from half of a fresh lime
  • Fill with Ginger Beer
The Mule From The Alamo
The Mule From The Alamo
   
     Fill a shaker with ice and combine the Infused Vodka, Hibiscus Grenadine, and lime juice.  Shake and empty into a rocks glass.  Fill rest of glass with ginger beer.  Garnish with the squeezed lime half.

     The basil and ginger match very well together while the Hibiscus Grenadine adds a subtle sweet note at the end. 

Enjoy
-S.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment